On 5 February 2018, DPNSEE welcomed in our office Amarildo Fecanji, the Executive co-director of the LGBTI Equal Rights Association ERA for an introductory meeting of the two civil society organisations networks of in South East Europe. Vice-President Nebojša Đurasović, Executive Director Milutin Milošević and Communication officer and office manager Irena Molnar represented DPNSEE.
The first contact of two networks happened during the Dialogue between civil society and donors „Averting a health and rights crisis in South Eastern Europe, Building partnership to sustain HIV prevention Services for Key populations“, organised by OSF, where both directors of the networks were presenting their views on possibilities for cooperation at the panel „Bridging the HIV and human rights; how LGBT, sex worker, drug user and PLHIV communities work together to strengthen national and regional advocacy?“. Recognition of the potential for cooperation between the two networks initiated second meeting where we used opportunity to inform each other about activities of both networks and identify areas of common action.
During a pleasant and informative meeting, several areas of join interest were identified as potential for collaboration, including but not limited:
- Respecting the human rights of the key populations and services offered to vulnerable and discriminated groups
- Advocating for improving state of access to health of key populations
- Approaching, together with other SEE COS networks, the DG Near to convince them to extend support to cooperation building in SEE
- Research and mapping the state of drug use related issues within the LGBTQI communities
- Advocating for specific programmes related to LGBTQI and drugs such as harm reduction, including chemsex and other.